From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 00:12
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Plugins of plugins

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 00:00 -0400, Brill Pappin wrote:
> I've got one for you... I used to have a m1 goal that called several
other
> goals while preparing for a release... the idea was to make a
repetitive
> task (executing several goals) simple by executing one goal.
>
> Since I no longer have the maven.xml. I'd love to be able to set up a
> "composit" plugin where I could define a set of goals to execute.

Fair enough, that's a good use case I think. Essentially what we're
talking about here is a way make altering the life cycle very flexible.
Exactly what Chris is talking about where you might graft a bunch of
mojos/goals into the life cycle. You may want to execute some goals that
are not part of the life cycle and some that are.

So maybe a plugin with a configuration that allowed you to do this would
be the solution. I don't think this would be hard to do but would be
good to get a couple more concrete use cases first.

> - Brill Pappin
>
> On 10/19/05, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 22:00 -0500, Chris Berry wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > > Is it possible to write a "plugin of plugins"?? I.e. a plugin that
is
> > simply
> > > a composite of other plugins.
> > >
> > > To make this concrete, imagine that you have a common set of
plugins
> > that
> > > are used across many projects -- together forming a common build
system.
> > For
> > > example, in project A you have
> > >
> > > <plugins.
> > > <plugin/> ..... plugin X at phase 1
> > > <plugin/> ..... plugin Y at phase 5
> > > <plugin/> ..... plugin Z at phase 7
> > > <plugins>
> >
> > Do you have a concrete example which may help me understand what
you're
> > trying to do before I respond. Looks like you're trying to provide
> > solution before we know what you're really trying to do.
> >
> > --
> > jvz.
> >
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason at maven.org <http://maven.org>