That page gives some examples, but I don't know what the sections describe or what's possible. I think this page...

http://maven.apache.org/maven2/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly.html

with details for each part of the descriptor would help. There are several parts of the xml file that I'm unclear about.

However, the mini guide has some more examples that should help.

Thanks