Kenney wrote:

This is a jvm thing. You probably have a JDK that has a buggy version of
xerces (or xalan, if you're using stylesheets).

Adding a dependency on xerces (or another xml parser) should fix this.

I'm using 1.4.2_09 and I'm pretty sure it was using Crimson, at least that's what I was seeing in the stack trace.

I added the following dependencies, but it didn't help, I still get the NPE and SaxParseException and the tests fail under m2. (Is this what you were suggesting?)

     <dependency>
        <groupId>xerces</groupId>
        <artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
        <version>2.4.0</version>
        <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
        <groupId>xml-apis</groupId>
        <artifactId>xml-apis</artifactId>
        <version>2.0.2</version>
        <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>

Then I tried switching to Xerces 2.7.1, but couldn't find an xml-apis jar
containing org.xml.sax.ext.Attributes2 in the repository. After putting the one
that came with the Xerces download in my local repository, it went back to
the NPE/SaxParseException.

I copied the artifacts that I'm building (shale-core and shale-test) from my m1 repository (the tests work fine under m1) to my m2 repository, just to make sure I wasn't missing something, but still no luck.

I do get a slightly better error message with Xerces 2.4.0, in that it has a column number instead of -1: "Error at (41, 47: null"

It's complaining about line 41, column 47, which is the end of the 2nd line:
   <action              name="first"
                      method="#{test.first}">

(The entire file is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/shale/trunk/core-library/src/test/org/apache/shale/dialog/faces/dialog-config.xml )

What else can I try?