We have a -classifier element in the artifact in the repository which
was envisaged as encopassing this, however it won't allow it to be
later broken down into individual pieces.

What it does mean is that all the variants have the same POM and are
treated as one dependency that just differs on other architectures.

I'll add this to the 2.1 discussion list.