Thanks for the reply.
When I started to use the plugin I was prefixing the URLs with
"scm:svn", but then I still had a problem so thought about exploring
and that is why I asked about setting the scm provider in a different
manner.  I have again used these prefixes and I still get a problem.
Maven gave me the follow stacktrace below.  I am using 2.0-beta-3 of the plugin.

During my reading of the site I noticed that both the scm and the
release plugin are similar.  Is it right to think that the maven-scm
plugin is planned to allow developers to aquire a project without a
pom.xml and then to complete the every day version control tasks?
With this in mind is it best to view the maven-release plugin as a
component that should be used to release code for a repository instead
of completing a checkout/checkin, copy etc manually?  I just want to
know the thoughts behind each plugin.

----- Maven output -----

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------
---
[INFO] An error is occurred in the status process.

Embedded error: Can't load the scm provider.
The scm url is invalid.

----- stack trace ------

Caused by: org.apache.maven.scm.ScmException: Can't load the scm provider.
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.helpers.ScmHelper.getScmRepository(S
cmHelper.java:104)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.helpers.ScmHelper.getStatus(ScmHelpe
r.java:169)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.PrepareReleaseMojo.checkForLocalModi
fications(PrepareReleaseMojo.java:510)
        ... 19 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.scm.repository.ScmRepositoryException: The scm url i
s invalid.
        at org.apache.maven.scm.provider.svn.SvnScmProvider.makeProviderScmRepos
itory(SvnScmProvider.java:84)
        at org.apache.maven.scm.manager.plexus.DefaultScmManager.makeScmReposito
ry(DefaultScmManager.java:126)
        at org.apache.maven.plugins.release.helpers.ScmHelper.getScmRepository(S
cmHelper.java:82)