I have a plugin that can do the copying or exploding. Assuming you can
build and deploy, this might complete the cycle.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:26 AM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: [m2] howto turn arbitrary files into artifacts and reuse them
in other projects

Hi,

Anyone know how I might access arbitrary files maintained by one project
in another project without having the 'source' project available? Are
there any ways of providing this kind of arbitrary file/artifact
packaging, distribution and unpacking functionality? Note the files i
wish to access would be for use both by the project code (i.e.
java.properties files), by maven itself (say a custom site maven.vm
template) and other build phases (e.g. LICENSE.txt files used in
assembly).

Example:

projectA - A simple POM project that currently provides default maven
settings fro entire build system. I would like this project to also be
able to provide a number of default 'build' files (e.g. site maven.vm,
checkstyle config file) for other projects can use but want them to be
retreived via the repository and not from the file system directly (i.e.
developer does not need projectA checkedout to access these files)

projectB - A simple java project that is a child of projectA. I would
like projectB to be able to use files maintained by projectA in its
build process.

Maybe using an archetype is the way to go? At the beginning of a build
of projectB an archetype is pulled down and unpacked over the top of the
project?

What would you reommend?

Thanks,
John