Yep I looked there but no-dice.  I'll have to give up on this now as I am offline until mid-next week. thanks for your help and perhaps (fingers xxed) someone who's actually done what I am trying to do (use a master pom.xml to define all common build/dependency/reporting/profile/developer details, thus making the poms for each subproject very very simple and generate a common and consistent suite of build-artifacts and reports) will post to this list with some definitive answers.  thanks for your help however.

I am documenting all of this as I go as I need to write up impact assesments later this month and assess at that point if we migrate to m2 or stick with ant.  so far it's much simpler to just import an ant script with the appropriate reporting targets from a common location than it is to set up pom-inheritance.  but that's probably because I still don't really know what I am doing with m2.  (and that's partially because every time i want to try something new i need to research it and often end up having to write my own documentation, wheras Ant is very well understood by everyone here and there is a vast existing base [spaghetti mostly] of ant scripts.)

if i can get what i want to work working i am happy to contribute documentation to the maven project.  but i am still not sure i have my head in the right place to qualify myself for that task.

Kind regards,
Dave Sag