This is exactly correct.

If you want to build and package *only* your submodule, then Maven
needs to have the other dependencies already installed in your local
repo... it won't go find them, build, and use them even if they share
a parent.

This will work if executed from the top/parent pom. Then all artifacts
will be built "in order" and you don't need to install the various
module/submodules.

Wayne