Oh, its unfortunate that I have run across this interesting thread just now.
I actually ran across the exact same issue. Here's what I did (note this may
not be the most elegant solution, however, it worked well, and was the
easiest to implement). Since you mentioned that this is merely for rapid
development, it is presumed that you will eventually update everyone to the
newest version.

I created an alternate repository named "TAG" (whatever your tag is) and
pointed apache to it. For example, if your corporate repo is
http://corp/repo1, then create another repository named
http://corp/repo1-TAG, and continuum can build only specific projects that
should be overridden. This repository was populated solely with a specific
tagged cut of the code. Then your team can depend upon the repositories of
both. When they point to Utility 1.0.0, they should pick it up from TAG.

Now, in my defense, this strategy was employed to work on top of a very
legacy build/deploy system that knew only of SNAPSHOTs (and nothing else...
so its not really fair to even call it a versioning system). It sounds like
you guys have an equally goofy system. Are you guys supporting legacy
version in tandem? Meaning, do you branch 1.0 and continue working on it,
and then also work on 1.1? This was actually our big problem.

Eric