Mick,

The benefits of using Maven come not by increasing the speed of work
(although eventually that will come too, but not because the tool is
faster), but rather by using a uniform project model shared by all
your projects and developers. The added value here is having all your
developers use the same build and development methodologies -
regardless of the project they work on. This is what really increases
productivity - the standardization of the development process and the
encouragement of proven best practices.

For more info, see http://maven.apache.org/what-is-maven.html which is
a good starting point for learning the real benefits of using Maven
over more low-level tools such as Ant.

Kind regards,
 Arik Kfir.