Maybe if the test-harness can be provided with a pom.xml file and from there it can build several of the needed expressions. Of course, the plugin configuration should already be in the pom so we need not provide two separate files for the test-harness. I'd also suggest parsing ${basedir} to be the directory where the pom.xml is.

Jesse McConnell wrote:
<dependency>
     <groupId>org.apache.maven.shared</groupId>
     <artifactId>maven-plugin-testing-harness</artifactId>
     <version>1.0-beta-1</version>
     <scope>test</scope>
</dependency>

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+Plugin+Harness

I originally put this harness together with help from jason so that we
could instantiate mojo's easily in test cases and feed in
configuration settings from either an xml file or programmatically
using a couple of reflection helper functions.  I know a number of
people have been using it and I was hoping I could get some feedback
from folks on how it worked and more importantly how it can be made
better.

Couple of things off the top of my head, I know originally the plan
had been to put in a lot of generic stub objects for common maven
objects but I have seen a lot of instances where the maven stub
objects were inserted into the test cases themselves as opposed to
being brought into this package so one of the first things I would
like to try and do is try and recover some of these stubs and get them
added into the harness.  Some other things might be to add more
support for using the @parameter expression=""  statements in the
mojo,  since I have noticed that has been a bit of a tripping point
for some people.

so nows your chance to kick in some more ideas on what you would like
to see from the plugin testing harness :)

cheers!
jesse