So you're saying that I can use <pluginManagement> to declare a plugin and
all its parameters in the parent but really "instantiate" it in child POMs?
Can you provide an example? My concern is that I don't want to redefine the
plugin and all its settings (parameters) in child POMs. Thanks.

Here is a relevant section from the top-level POM:

<plugins>
        <plugin>
                <groupId>group ID</groupId>
                <artifactId>artifact ID</artifactId>