Thanks for that information guys - I understand how things should be set up now. Unfortunately, I have a slight problem regarding a clash between mavens modules and eclipse (I realise eclipse's inner workings are slightly off topic, but I'm sure many on this list know more about it than I do).

My project actually consists of three modules, one basic business rules module, and two web applications that utilize the business rules (I said it had two initially just to focus on the problem at hand). Currently these applications are separate projects in eclipse. I'm worried that if I combine them into a maven-ized single project with modules, I will no longer be able to deploy them as individual web applications within eclipse (using eclipse web tools project web server - tomcat in this instance).

AFAIK eclipse WTP expects only a single web app within a project - has anyone encountered this scenario before, and if so, have they found a feasible solution that allows eclipse WTP and maven (with multiple web apps as modules) to coexist?

Thanks again for your help
Denis

Stefan Magnus Landrø wrote:
Are you basically saying that a parent project needs to have modules to allow unit tests to be run?

Yes, and actually modules are just a way of simplyfying a complex build.

Stefan