Sounds like the phase thing might point at the problem - say you had two
executions defined.  This is useful if you want to define the same goal (or
different goals) to be run in different phases.  But, just running it from
the command line, how would maven know which one to use?  Following this
logic, it would make sense that only the base plugin configuration, not the
configuration of individual executions, would apply when running the goal
directly from the command line.

Maybe somebody with a bit more knowledge could confirm whether this makes
sense, or I'm way off base?