It would be great if the mvn2 pluggin supported file sets as per the ant
target but so far as I can see it does not :-(

An alternative is (it's not a great solution but it's workable) is to create
a separate project/module with all your .xsd, nested in the desired sub
directories etc. Set this project POM up so maven packages the .xsd's to a
jar artifact, then add this artifact to your 'real' project/module that
needs to use xmlbeans as a dependency. The POM entry needs to use the
<xsdJar>  tag to tell the xmlbeans compiler where to look for all the .xsd's
including paths e.g.

      <plugin>
       <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>xmlbeans-maven-plugin</artifactId>
       <executions>
          <execution>
             <goals>
                 <goal>xmlbeans</goal>
             </goals>
          </execution>
       </executions>
       <configuration>
          <memoryInitialSize>50m</memoryInitialSize>
          <memoryMaximumSize>80m</memoryMaximumSize>
          <xsdJars>
              <xsdJar
implementation="java.lang.String">yourXSdGroupIdGoesHere:yourXSdArtifactIdGoesHere</xsdJar>
          </xsdJars>
       </configuration>
      </plugin>

This works quite well unless you have a lot of duplicated global type
references in your .xsd's.   Also see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MXMLBEANS-21?page=all&decorator=printable

to add some optimisation as ALL the jar'ed .xsd's will be loaded and
converted to in memory objects by default.

Regards