Yeah, I wish maven wouldn't wrap the Class-Path entry, too.

I'm pretty new to maven myself, so I haven't tried out multi-module builds
or J2EE builds. But I think you have the right idea. Marking things provided
is the surest way I know to keep transitive dependencies out of your
artifacts. There is also the <exclusions> tag, but then you have to catch
every path from which the dependency is coming. A lot of people seem to get
bit by your problem, so perhaps a flag to exclude transitive dependencies
would be a good idea. You could override it on a per-dependency basis.

Paul