Hi folks.

I wonder, what is the usual approach to generate or include in distribution or package the SQL that sets up the database (DDL)?

For instance, I use Hyperjaxb to generate source code and Hibernate mappings from the database schema. Based on the Hibernate mappings I can generate the DDL that defines the database (there's a plugin to do that).

What I completely miss is how this SQL should be packaged or distributed and so on. With HBMs everything works very nice - they are just packaged as resources in the JAR (together with Hibernate configuration). Currently I simply use the automatic schema creation of Hibernate. That is, during the start-up the Hibernate automatically exports the database schema into the database. But what should I do in cases when the database may only be created manyally by the admin?

I'd be grateful for you input/advises.
Thanks in advance.

Bye.
/lexi