Mykel is correct.

In addition, until MNG-714, when the mirror fails to deliver, the mirrored repository is not used. So are mirrors of the same repository id.

Mykel Alvis wrote:
NEEDED WIKI TOPIC

My understanding is that mirrors simply override the URLs for the repos
they're mirroring.
Therefore, it's URL effectively replaces the URL configured in the
repository that it's listed as a <mirrorOf>
There are a number of reasons for doing this. The ones that come to mind at
present are
1. You're running a maven-aware proxy (like proximity or maven-proxy) and
that proxy knows about "central" and you want to override the URL for
"central" to your proxy.
2. You know of a geographically closer mirror to some repo (often "central")
and you want to use that mirror rather than the original one.

On 11/2/06, Emmanuel Hugonnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Edwin Punzalan a écrit :
> repositories stores artifacts and lets mvn download from it.
>
> mirrors are like copies of a repository... you use it when a repository
> is inaccessible or too slow.
>
> Hope that helps
>

> ^_^
>
> Emmanuel Hugonnet wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am wondering about the difference between defining a mirror and
>> defining a repository. What is the use case for each one ? Which is
>> taking precedence over the other ?
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Emmanuel

Yep but what happens when a mirror is done ? Does Maven check the
repository ? If I proxy central or codehaus is it better to declare my
proxy as a mirror (so in the settings.xml) or as the repository (in my
POM or with a profile in my settings.xml) ? What are the consequences of
this choice ?
Thanks
Emmanuel