You can certainly do "whatever you want" to your local repo, including
"moving" artifacts to a new groupId and modifying the pom.xml files to
suit your needs.

Changing the groupId is not entirely uncommon -- sometimes you need to
build a release of your own project but depend on a SNAPSHOT, and
can't wait for a formal release of their code, so you release your own
internal non-Snapshot version of the code under your own groupId. Or
perhaps you have your own modifications to some open source code
library and so you literally have a different artifact than what is
being delivered by Central.

Wayne