This does not work.

If you think about it you can see why.

You would define 'sensage-version' in the parent pom and use it in all the
children. The problem is that as it is parsing the child pom, maven has to
find the parent. To do that, it looks in the <parent> section and has to use
the value of "sensage-version'.

Its a classic catch-22 situation. You can't find the parent without the
value of 'sensage-version' and you you can't find the value of
'sensage-versin' without the parent.

-- Lee