I did it this way.  The classpath gets generated with the jars for the war
but no jar files get added to the lib directory
           <plugin>
               <version>2.0.1</version>
               <configuration>
                   <outputDirectory>
                       ${basedir}/../target/${artifactId}
                   </outputDirectory>
                   <warSourceExcludes>
                       WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
                   </warSourceExcludes>
                   <archive>
                       <addMavenDescriptor>false</addMavenDescriptor>
                       <manifest>
                           <addClasspath>true</addClasspath>
                       </manifest>
                   </archive>