Hi,
I have four tests just now.
[1]I added following artifact to dependency
<dependency>
        <groupId>asm</groupId>
        <artifactId>asm</artifactId>
        <version>1.5.3</version>
</dependency>
then run "mvn package", asm-1.5.3.jar was in WEB-INF/lib

[2]I added following scripts to pom.xml
<dependency>
        <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
        <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
        <version>15</version>
</dependency>
obviously, there isn't jta-15.jar in real world.
Then run "mvn package", build was sucessful too, none of error is thrown!!!

[3]I just use following
<dependency>
        <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
        <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
        <version>1.0.1B</version>
</dependency>
run "mvn eclipse:eclipse", jta-1.0.1B.jar was in .classpath.
It means that Maven can find the artifact.

[4]I just use following
<dependency>
        <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
        <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
        <version>15</version>
</dependency>
run "mvn eclipse:eclipse", Maven tried to download jta-15.pom, off course
found nothing.
It means that Maven knows jta-15 isn't existent.

The four test above are very strange!
How to explain the matter?

a cup of Java, cheers!
Sha Jiang