I had the same problem with other files in the META-INF directory (besides
application.xml). Websphere wants a was.policy file to be there to supply
java security settings. When the file disappeared from my ear, Websphere
suddenly hated my application. It was the new ear plugin version that caused
the file to be left out.

Setting the resources dir as described by Tom allowed it to work with ear
plugin 2.3. I did want to note for the archive where the tag Tom described
goes:

<build>
   <plugins>
     <plugin>
       <artifactId>maven-ear-plugin</artifactId>
       <configuration>
         <resourcesDir>${project.build.outputDirectory}</resourcesDir>
... other stuff probably goes here too ...
       </configuration>
   <plugin>
 <plugins>
<build>

-- Lee

On 1/14/07, Stephane Nicoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

On 1/11/07, Tobias Jenkner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I do not understand the reason for this change?
> why do I have to configure the resources directory on my own? the maven
> approach is convention over configuration, isn't it?
> or is it deprecated to use resources in this place? where should I place
> them instead?

Yes, it's deprecated. The ear resources directory has always been
src/main/application. In the early days, the resource plugin was bound
the the lifecycle which was a mistake. The problem is that the EAR
lifecycle is bundled with maven itself so it's pretty hard to modify
it.

The other problem is that the reourcesDir element does not appear as
deprecated in the generated doc while it's documented as is in the
code.

Resourcedir will be removed in EAR plugin 2.4 most probably. I just
need to be able to handle filters in the main resource directory
(src/main/application).

Do not hesitate if you have further questions/suggestions.

Regards,
Stéphane

> thanks for your help, Tobias.
>
> Tom Huybrechts schrieb:
> > I had the same problem today....
> >
> > Let me quote somebody:
> >
> > you can still make it work if you explicitely set the resources
directory

> >  <configuration><resourcesDir>${project.build.outputDirectory
}</resourcesDir>

> >  </configuration>
> >
> > tom
> >
> > On 1/11/07, Tobias Jenkner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> when I use the maven-ear-plugin in its latest (released) version 2.3,
it
> >> seams that the plugin does not copy the resources any more. The build
> >> fails because it cannot locate the application.xml any more:
> >>
> >> [INFO]

> >> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> >> [INFO]

> >> [INFO] Deployment descriptor:

c:\Workspace\server\application\target\mpa-application-M2-SNAPSHOT\META-INF\application.xm