I'd have the following in the pom.xml of an archetype:

<jdbc.url><![CDATA[jdbc:mysql://localhost/${artifactId}?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true&amp;useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=utf-8]]></jdbc.url>

If users use a dash in their artifactId, this will fail on most databases.
Is there a String replacement tool available in the VelocityContext of the
archetype-plugin?  I'd like to do something like:

$stringutil.replace(${artifactId}, '-', '_')

Thanks,

Matt