In short: you are in trouble :)

alpha-1 was so long time ago, and it introduced some (very big)
problems just about repo handling.... :(

The Proximity is currently RC7 (i know, i know, alpha-1 and RC7....),
but some major problems were solved in RC5 or 6 (if i remeber)...
versions before those are OBSOLETE and should not be used in
production!

You should (have to!) migrate to RC7, if you want to use Proximity is
production. Otherwise, it may introduce some (broken) behaviour, that
will make M2 to produce BROKEN artifacts!

I warned You.

alpha1 works in plain "repo merging" mode.

Read here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Creating+a+Maven+proxy

~t~

-->  So I believe it helped :)

It certainly did.  Now I am just trying to understand the repository
configuration a little bit better so I don't have these issues in the future.

-->  I will presume you use the latest RC7 of it and with default
("factory") configuration. It would suffice in situation like yours.

Actually, we are running alpha-2.  We installed it some time ago and has been
running well ever since.  The install is pretty much the factory configuration.
 However, we added an additional external repository to proxy as well as two
internal repositories to reflect external artifacts (free versus non-free).

-->  So, shortly, the answer is NO, the inhouse repo (which is group
private) does not reside on the same URL as repo central (which is
public group).

This gets to the heart of my confusion.  When browsing the repositories via
proximities web UI, a repositoryId query param is appended to the URL.  This
restricts proximities response to the relevant artifacts in that repo.
However, if you don't include that query param (which, I believe, reflects the
URL that m2 uses) proximity returns all relevant artifacts regardless of
repository.

For instance http://webdev1:8080/px-webapp-1.0.0-alpha2/repository/tapestry/ returns artifact IDs
from "central" and "extFree".

We have never pushed repository settings to our m2 clients for accessing the
external free and non-free repositories.  However, m2 can still pull those
dependencies down.

So now I have two questions:

1 - Should we force distinct URL paths for the various repositories?  Not sure
what the upside is to doing this.  Although this would make m2 settings more
explicit, it would force us to update the settings when we need to add a repo.

2 - My central mirror is configured to a URL of
http://webdev1:8080/px-webapp-1.0.0-alpha2/repository.  The organizational pom
m2 couldn't find is available at
http://webdev1:8080/px-webapp-1.0.0-alpha2/repository/gov/usitc/usitc/1.0-SNAPSHOT/usitc-1.0-SNAPSHOT.pom.
  Why didn't m2 find that organizational pom via the central mirror.

Best regards,

Carlos