On 15 Feb 07, at 5:39 PM 15 Feb 07, Mark Derricutt wrote:

I was thinking of asking the same thing actually.

In our current Ant based build we're unjaring the Apache James .sar file, copying in our own .jar file along with our custom configuration files, and
then rejaring the .sar as our own "application".

That's called an assembly. Look at the assembly plugin, what you want is not really packaging.

Jason.

I could see this being a good use of a custom <packaging/> plugin.