The problem is with different versions of the war plugin. Version 2.0.1 and below used the syntax you tried, while newer versions need additional configuration. The additional config is not backwards compatible.

Try this:

       <archive>
          <manifest>
<addDefaultImplementationEntries>true</ addDefaultImplementationEntries>
          </manifest>
          <manifestEntries>
            < BuildVersion >${buildNumber}</BuildVersion>
          </manifestEntries>
        </archive>

You should also specify that you need version 2.0.2 (or greater) of the war plugin, either in pluginManagement, or in the plugin spec itself.