I was fighting with m2 because it could find a jar I knew was on
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2  I added the repo to
my repository list, and all works great now.

The question in all of this is that I thought the "base/root" types of
repositories are automatically added to the maven installation and I did not
need to add the following repository.  Why wouldn't this automatically be a
repo that is used in resolving artifacts?

Thanks.

<repository>
        <releases/>
        <id>maven2</id>