Traditionally, Maven regards the repository as a database for artifacts.
This means that anything in the repository is meant to be reachable by
Maven. Having said that, most repositories live on some sort of webserver
somewhere, which means the Maven repository is usually just a directory
structure on that webserver...which leads me to my real point:

The intention with all of this was that Maven would index/name artifacts the
way it needed to in order to retrieve them when they're in the repository.
The finalName configurations are preserved in the POM, which is deployed
alongside the artifact. So, anyone who requires an artifact to comply with
its configured finalName should have the appropriate plugins in place during
their build (or whatever) to copy the artifact out of the repository system
into a different directory with the finalName-compliant file name. Now, if
you have no intention of accessing these custom-named files from Maven, why
deploy them to a Maven repository? Why not deploy them *alongside* the Maven
repository on the same webserver? This wouldn't be done using the typical
deployment mechanism, but rather a custom plugin that would just push the
file (I'm assuming you don't need the POM, either) to the appropriate
location, either locally or remotely.

In other words, try not to bend the Maven repository to your external needs.
If you can't work with its format, perhaps you'd be better off constructing
your own directory/file structure alongside the repository?

HTH,

john