Hey guys, thanks for the help! I was able to create a simple groovy plugin
with just a little bit of effort. From there it should be possible to crank
up the complexity to create something truly useful.

It would be cool to see the javalike tools go mainstream!

I documented the process in case anyone else might find it useful:
http://pteropus.blogspot.com/2007/04/from-maven-to-mvn-part-7-groovier.html