On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 16:04 -0700, Dan Tran wrote:
> Hello,  my webapp depends on commons-logging-1.1 which has a punch of
> optional jars and they are pull into my WEB-INF/lib directory
> is it a expected behavior, the optional depdendency seems to disagree with
> that

According to the commons-logging POM 1.1 these dependencies are not
optional. To get rid of them you can use exclusions:

<dependency>
  <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
  <version>1.1</version>
  <exclusions>
    <exclusion>
      <groupId>avalon-framework</groupId>
      <artifactId>avalon-framework</artifactId>
    </exclusion>
    <exclusion>
      <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
      <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>