I'm using a particular library and they've just released a new version.
The new library's API has changed significantly enough that the
publisher has changed all of the package names and made it possible for
a project to use both the old and new versions of the library
side-by-side as the project migrates from the old to the new version.

That works great for the library, but there isn't a way (or is there?)
to tell Maven that it should actually use both versions of the library.

So the question is this:  does this come up enough that Maven should
support this use case?  An obvious work-around would be to copy the old
artifact to a different artifactId so Maven treats it like a completely
different library.  This would work unless the project wants to be
deployed beyond the availability of the repository containing the copy
of the old artifact.  Is it reasonable to expect the publisher to deploy
the copy of the old artifact to a different artifactId?  (In my case,
the publisher thinks Maven should just support using two versions
side-by-side.)  How often does this sort of thing happen at all?

..David..