This issue seems perhaps not related to Maven levels - but is caused by something else - because other 2.0.6 tooling seems to work. Will investigate further...

-Marshall

Marshall Schor wrote:
When running with Maven, 2.0.4, the following assembly XML works OK, but generates wrong output in Maven 2.0.6:

<assembly>
 <id>bin</id>
 <formats>
   <format>tar.gz</format>
   <format>tar.bz2</format>
   <format>zip</format>
 </formats>

 <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>

 <!-- This tag is only supported in assembly plugin v2.2, which is
 still in SNAPSHOT releases at this time.  Instead of having a dependency
 on a SNAPSHOT, I've added apache-uima separately to each of the
 outputDirectory elements in this file.
 <baseDirectory>apache-uima</baseDirectory>
 -->

 <dependencySets>
   <!-- Because our artifactIds are uimaj-xxx but our jars are uima-xxx,
   I need a separate dependency set for each module so that I can
   specify the jar file name.  If we didn't have this inconsistency
   we could have a single dependencySet that included all modules
   and had an outputFileNameMapping of ${artifactId}.jar -->
   <dependencySet>
     <includes>
       <include>org.apache.uima:uimaj-core</include>
     </includes>
     <unpack>false</unpack>
     <outputFileNameMapping>uima-core.jar</outputFileNameMapping>
     <outputDirectory>/apache-uima/lib</outputDirectory>
   </dependencySet>
   ...  ( a bunch omitted)
<!-- Unpack the zip files for each eclipse plugin into the /eclipsePlugins dir of the distribution -->
   <dependencySet>
     <includes>
       <include>org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-configurator:zip</include>
       <include>org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-debug:zip</include>
       <include>org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-jcasgen:zip</include>
       <include>org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-pear-packager:zip</include>
       <include>org.apache.uima:uimaj-ep-runtime:zip</include>
     </includes>
     <unpack>true</unpack>
     <scope>runtime</scope>
     <outputDirectory>/apache-uima/eclipsePlugins</outputDirectory>
   </dependencySet>
 </dependencySets>

 <!-- Add other files - scripts, documentation, examples -->
 <fileSets>
   <fileSet>
     <directory>src/main/scripts</directory>
     <outputDirectory>/apache-uima/bin</outputDirectory>
     <fileMode>755</fileMode>
   </fileSet>
  ... (a bunch omitted)
</assembly>

It produces a directory tree having, among other things:

   root  / eclipsePlugins / org.apache.uima.debug.2.1.0.incubating / etc.

However, if the same XML is used with Maven 2.0.6, an "extra" directory is created having the name of the packed "zip" source:

   root / eclipsePlugins / uimaj-ep-debug-2.1.0-incubating.zip /
   org.apache.uima.debug.2.1.0.incubating / etc.
                           <******** extra directory **********>

Is this a bug, or do we need to change something when moving to 2.0.6? Did the version of "assembly" plugin change when moving from Maven 2.0.4 to 2.0.6?

Thanks. -Marshall