I'm guessing you're running the assembly either as a standalone goal, or
somewhere before the package phase of the lifecycle. Am I right?

IIRC, the error you're seeing stems from the decision not to make the
assembly:assembly goal @execute phase="packaging" but I can't remember for
sure. If you want to fix it using assembly;assembly, try:

mvn package assembly:assembly

Otherwise, you might want to try binding the assembly into the lifecycle,
after the package phase using the assembly:single mojo, then call:

mvn <phase>

HTH,

-john