I am having difficulty understanding how the site-deploy decides what url to use for the site deployment...

I have my parent pom of all my projects set up like this:

       <site>
         <id>penguin</id>
         <name>Nanometrics Software Website</name>
         <url>
           scp://penguin/disk1/software/sites/${project.artifactId}/
         </url>
       </site>

But when the deploy actually happens, I get the following behaviour:
1) For the parent pom itelf (artifactId=common-pom), I get the correct directory: /disk1/software/sites/common-pom/ 2) For child projects (artifactId=range), I get /disk1/software/sites/range/range/ 3) For another project which itself a pom (artifactId=web-common-pom), it deploys to /disk1/software/sites/web-common-pom/web-common-pom/ 4) For child projects of the 2nd level parent pom (artifactId=configuration), it deploys to /disk1/software/sites/configuration/web-common-pom/configuraion/

Very strange. Any idea why the ${project.artifactId} is not working properly, or is it the site plugin doing something funny to modify the url setting? For the #2 case, it would seem that the site plugin automatically appends the artifactId to the URL, but it does not happen for the pom project itself. Not consistent at all.
Thanks in advance,

Ben