Mick:

Only source code should go in generated-sources.
XML files and the like should go in generated-resources.

If you can find how to get files into generated-resources and in a WEB-INF
directory --
that is to say ./target/generated-sources/WEB-INF/jdev.xml --
you can add them to the WAR by doing:

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>2.0</version>
        <configuration>
          <webResources>
            <resource>
              <!-- this is relative to the pom.xml directory -->
              <directory>target/generated-resources</directory>
            </resource>
          </webResources>
         </configuration>
       </plugin>