One idea:

Create a profile that configures the compiler plugin with
<debug>false</debug>.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html

Then in the profile, configure the jar plugin to have a classifier -
something like "non-debug".

Then, when you want to install w/ debug just run install, without it:
install with the flag -PprofileName

Eric