I suggest grepping your local repository for 1.2.3. My guess would be that
you'll find a reference to it in a pom.xml file somewhere in there.

slippen:~/.m2/repository chris$ grep -r -l "1.2.3" . | grep pom$
./commons-jxpath/commons-jxpath/1.2/commons-jxpath-1.2.pom
./xerces/xerces/1.2.3/xerces-1.2.3.pom

So - it is present in xerces itself and commons-jxpath.

So - I have added the following again:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>commons-jxpath</groupId>
      <artifactId>commons-jxpath</artifactId>
      <version>1.2</version>
      <exclusions>
        <exclusion>
          <groupId>xerces</groupId>
          <artifactId>xerces</artifactId>
        </exclusion>
      </exclusions>
    </dependency>

Ran a mvn clean, then a site then a test.

site still shows xerces xerces 1.2.3 required under Project Transitive Dependencies

test still fails due to the wrong parser being used