In that case, you will need to change pom.xml everytime right?

As long as you're using snapshots: No.
You only have to change your pom.xml if you decide that the code is stable enough to be called a new release.

Or, we can have profile defined in profiles.xml or settings.xml to avoid
pom.xml changes?

I absolutely recommend to not omit the project version number in your pom (don't know if that ever work, btw). I'd be afraid to be unable to verify that some piece of code I have in my IDE really belongs to a certain deployed release that is in use somewhere...

HTH

Thorsten