Looks like you want to use "mvn -s <your location here>".

C:\cvs_root\xsltc-maven-plugin>mvn -h
usage: mvn [options] [<goal(s)>] [<phase(s)>]
 -s,--settings                 Alternate path for the user settings file

To make this work consistently, you could probably edit the mvn.bat
file itself to provide the -s setting automatically with every
execution of mvn.

Also, refer to this webpage for more info on settings.xml files:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

Wayne