Create a settings.xml file and put it in your home account's
~/.m2/settings.xml

<settings>
  <localRepository>/a/dir/you/can/access</localRepository>
  <!-- ... whatever else you want... -->
</settings>

Maven (quite rightly) assumes you have write access to your local repo.

--
Eric Redmond
http://blog.propellors.net