Thanks for following up and letting us know John.  Good info.

John Casey wrote:
BTW, this problem is fixed in the latest snapshots of the assembly plugin, where there is a new flag in the assembly descriptor's dependencySet: <useProjectArtifact>true|false</useProjectArtifact>. For compatibility with the 2.1 release of maven-assembly-plugin, this flag is set to true by default.

I know it's just trivia right now, but someday we'll get this next release out, and it'll be useful to know. :-)

-john