On 8/21/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have a question that I hope isn't too basic. I've been trying to
> reconcile the behavior of dependency management with my expectations. I'll
> state in advance that I'm more than willing to admit that my expectations
> might be unrealistic.
>
> We've got a "home grown" dependency mechanism that works as follows: If
> artifact A requires artifact B and artifact B does not exist it builds
> artifact B before building artifact A.

That isn't really a dependency mechanism in Maven - that is a module
hierarchy. As long as module B exists in the set of modules along with A,
and A depends on B, then B will be built first.

To further clarify what I'd like to do, I had originally started with the
> <modules> element but quickly ran into this screnario: artifacts A and B
> are built in the same POM (<packaging>pom</packaging>), and both require
> artifact C. This does not make it past the reactor engine, which will not
> allow artifact C to appear more than once.

True - why would you want the same artifact built more than once?

Is this behavior possible with the <dependencyManagement> tags? So far it
> doesn't seem likely, but perhaps I'm not understanding dependency
> management, which brings us back to that start of this message.

I'm not understanding what you want to do. Is what behavior possible? Making
the reactor build a project twice? If that is your question, then no.

To clarify: all dependencyManagement does is pre-configure a set of
dependencies for use by inheriting projects. For example, if project P is
the parent with a depMan containing junit:junit:4.0, then an inheriting
child project C can add a dependency junit:junit, and junit will be
automatically configured to be version 4.0... the child need not specify
anything. This gives you a single point of management for dependency
configurations like versions, or exclusions.

--
Eric Redmond
http://blog.propellors.net

Thanks