On 8/21/07, Farhan Sarwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> Got a question relating to the updatePolicy tag in the maven
> repository configuration, so basically an updatePolicy can have one of
> the 4 possible values i.e. always,daily,interval:X (in minutes) and
> never. Now my understanding of the way maven handles Snapshot
> version(s) is that it will always check for a new SNAPSHOT version in
> a remote repository for every build (unlike regular versions), now
> given that if i change the value for updatePolicy to for example
> "never", would this behaviour (which i assume is build into it) change
> ?

Yes, that is why the updatePolicy element exists.

if yes, dont u think we can mimic the same behaviour with releases
> by changing the value of updatePolicy to always, and hence it would
> always get the latest from the remote-repo.

You could, but it would slow down everything immensely, since now Maven has
to check the remote repo for released artifacts, which has a cost (increased
network traffic, latency)

--
Eric Redmond
http://blog.propellors.net