You can hack it to run a test suite.  I found this on a post somewhere, so
don't give the credit to me. :-)

            <!-- To force maven to run the test suite -->
            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <!-- To force maven to run the suite -->
                    <includes>
                        <include>**/MavenSuite.java</include>
                    </includes>
                    <excludes>
                        <exclude>**/*Test.java</exclude>
                    </excludes>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

public class MavenSuite extends TestCase {

    /** The test result. */
    private TestResult tr;

    /** */
    public void testSuite() {
        TestSuite suite = (TestSuite) AllTests.suite();
        suite.run(tr);
    }

    /**
     * @see junit.framework.TestCase#run(junit.framework.TestResult)
     */
    public void run(TestResult res) {
        tr = res;
        testSuite();
    }

}

It's not as nice a solution since when surefire runs it looks like it's only
running *one* test.  I recommend not using a suite, but this was a quick
solution that I found for another project.  I've only tried this with junit
3.8, jdk 1.4 (it was an older project)

Jim