3 our of 4 of those examples don't count - only maverick has vowel- consonant-vowel :)

On 5 Sep 2007, at 18:07, Lee Meador wrote:

Except in "mattress" or "matrimony" or "mad" or "maverick" where the 'a' is
pronounced as in "dad".

English is funny because we stole words from almost every other language on the globe so any rule tends to have lots of exceptions. We just keep the
pronunciation or some mangled version of it from the other language.

-- Lee

On 8/15/07, Roberto del Fuego <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From an English linguistics viewpoint, as a rule of thumb, whenever you
have
vowel-consonant-vowel (as in mAVEn), the first vowel sound is pronounced
its
'long' way (a as in ape as opposed to a as in fact). So I think you are
right!

Roberto
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Fay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Maven Users List" <users@maven.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: Pronuciation

I am not an expert in this matter, but I have always pronounced it
may-vin. If you check the Oxford dictionary, it seems this is the
"right" way to pronounce this word.

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dict&freesearch=maven

Wayne

On 8/13/07, brad hadfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just a trivia question... hope you don't mind settling a point of
discussion.

What is the proper pronuciation of the word "Maven"? I have been using
mey-vuhn with the a as in "bacon" or "gate".

I have heard the a pronounced as in fact or back.

Anyone?

Thanks

-- Lee Meador
Sent from gmail. My real email address is lee AT leemeador.com