Are you sure the artifact isn't attached? If the code would work the artifact
will only be attached after the site:site goals had been run. If you want to
deploy the attached artifact you would have to run:

mvn site deploy

So my question is: In what way are you going to use the attached artifact?
And what does not seem to work then?