What if your build had two steps.

1) Create a whole new arrangement of folders by copying everything from the
original format to a new layout. This is not done to be saved and reused but
only to move the contents of all the folders into position so the Maven POM
is short and sweet.

2) Build with a simplified Maven POM to create the various artifacts (jar
files, war files, javadoc, site, etc.)

It might be easier.

Thanks.

-- Lee Meador