Is the 2-way parent/module dependency actually the right way to link
children and parent POMs? This is what we currently have:

The parent includes definition of a module (or group of modules) like so:
<groupId>org.sakaiproject</groupId>
<artifactId>base</artifactId>
<packaging>pom</packaging>
<modules>
  <module>alias</module>
</modules>

Then the child defines a parent like so:
<parent>
  <artifactId>base</artifactId>
  <groupId>org.sakaiproject</groupId>
  <version>M2</version>
  <relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath>
</parent>

As a result, we end up with this 2-way linkage bewteen these POMs
which ends up not being very flexible since all of the POMs have to
know about each other.

This seems to be what the docs indicate but I might misunderstand. Are
we doing something dumb here?

Sample parent here: https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/caret/kernel/pom.xml
Sample child here:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/caret/kernel/alias/pom.xml

Thanks for the help!
-AZ

--
Aaron Zeckoski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University