Maven dependency plugin has a goal copy-dependencies which has this parameter
overWriteIfNewer Overwrite artifacts that don't exist or are older than the
source.

Similarly I was wondering whether it would be able to compare project with
latest source and if modified recompile it. If not just a property that can
be set so as to force an install of dependencies for a project.